This is one of the busiest week’s I’ve had in recent memory.
- I just finished looking at a cool piece of hardware (more on that later).
- I just started looking at another cool piece of hardware (more on that later).
- I just ordered two new cool pieces of hardware (definitely more on that later).
- Bacula has been giving me grief this week (I really don’t want to talk about it, maybe later).
- At work we just received 70-ish new servers for a new project. (more on that right now)
One of the fun things about my current job is the chance to administer a lot of Linux Servers. We’ve got over a hundred now (not counting all of the virtual machines we also run), and we’re set to double that number in the next couple of weeks.
As many of these servers as possible will run my current favorite server distribution: Ubuntu Server 8.04.1. I say “as many as possible” because it’s not always possible. In the case of a good number of these new servers it won’t be possible because they will be running VMware ESX server. It’s still Linux, but heavily modified.
Anyway, the servers won’t wire themselves so I’d better get back there.